• 2019 Festival Committee Meeting – Dec 13, 2018

    Date / Time:

    December 13, 2018, 6:30PM

    Location:

    McFate’s Brewery, 1312 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85257  6:30pm – 8:30pm

    Attendees:

    Desiree Simmons, Michelle Laye, Jordy Mosely, Ben Choi, Laura Rasmussen, Eric Tang, Julie Hensley, Ash Lagazo, Aunty Dianne, Sharon Sebastian, Ronnie Sebastian, Rick Elias

    Scheduled Absence:

    Gary Cumberland, Russ Downs, Rick Gay

    General

    Public Relations Director (Russ)

    Charity

    • BCS paddler – Karen Root Radke
      • Husband is good with whatever we are planning for Karen’s memory
      • Can we name the BCS race after her?  Yes
      • Can we also add something to the program in her memory?  Yes

    Sponsorship (Russ)

    • Wells Fargo sponsorship packet
      • Steve no longer in charge – a new person (female) is in charge of the team
      • Russ needs to fill out grant documentation by Jan 31, 2019 for their team/boat registrations + sponsorship
      • Michele and Ash were (inadvertently) CC’ed on their team communication – WF is working to get their teams and volunteers together for this year’s festival
    • Toyota
      • They do the same thing as Wells Fargo (team registration + sponsorship to AZDBA)

    Entertainment (Ronnie Sebastian)

    • Haven’t started yet (normally start in January), but 2 groups have already approached her about performing in this year’s festival
    • Des asked if we can get the Japanese Drum Group back.. for the same price?  Yes, we can
    • Des asked if we can get the Monk?  Yes

    Creative (Ash)

    • Medals
      • Hasty Awards (hastyawards.com) has completed the Artwork Concept- Ash passed it around the festival committee to review – lots of oooohs and aaaaahhhhs
      • Started the artwork in October
      • Need to submit art by Jan 9, 2019
      • $3.59 per (die-cast) medal (our cost)

    Media and Publicity (Jordy/Russ)

    • Jordy completed the tweaks to the Festival flyers –
      • ready for printing and posting
      • will give a electronic PDF version to Ben for website download
    • Russ wants to do publicity using Bill Boards ($2500)
      • That might get us 1 day of advertising 2 weeks before the festival
      • overwhelming response was that this is too expensive and not effective
      • Des told Russ to take it out of $11k budget if really want to do that
      • Eric suggested we hire a high-school kid to do sign-flipping on a street corner for $5/hour- might be more cost effective and get same amount of interest.

    Website (Ben) / Social Media (Betty)

    • Des said the Corporate information needs to be consolidated – Ben to review and make the modifications
    • Ben to add the Youth information as a new Division
      • < 18 years old
      • $300 / $400 (verify with Julie/Des)
    • Julie to send Ben updated requirements for BCS division

    Team Party (Jordy)

    • Dave & Busters
    • Set a max of $30/head, but their final estimate came out to $42/head
    • Their $10 play card ended up at $20.69 when they tacked on extras: $3 activation + $5 unlimited play + $2.69 unlimited soda
    • They offered $12.69 for $10 play card  + unlimited soda

    Operations Director (Desiree)

    Vendors  (Desiree/Rik)

    • They are trickling in a little at a time; taking them in as we go along

    Insurance/Permits (Desiree)

    • Insurance
      • Laura R has sent $450 to Diane at the Insurance Co. and she knows the check is in the mail.
      • Once the check has been received and the Insurance Release has been approved, the Volunteer Waiver can be posted

    Facilities/Security (Desiree)

    • Porta-Potties
      • We are no longer using A1
      • We are going through United Rentals this year
    • Marshalling Area
      • Rick suggested we move the Marshalling tents down a bit, so that some Pop-Up tents can be set up for Steers/Drummer volunteers to hang out there
      • Des gave feedback that we did that last year, and Puppy said no one used them

    Parking/Transportation (Ronda)

    • Des wanted to know what the ASU Lot 59 situation was, but Ronda was not present
    • Des said as far as she knew Kwok was still committed to providing RFID for parking scanner

    Volunteers (Desiree/Aunty Dianne)

    • Des will update Jot Registration Form on website once Insurance Release has been approved/received
    • Aunty Diane meeting with Steve (Excel) about t-shirts (they will be Magenta/Pink)

    City of Tempe (Ryan)

    • Ryan was not present – no updates

    Team Hotel Accommodations (Desiree)

    • Met with Mariott- opening up new rooms in Scottsdale
    • Giving Des more rooms at A-Loft- once confirmed, we can update the website
    • Ref (official) rooms will be given

    Race Director (Gary-absent / Julie representing)

    Teams/Registration (Julie)

    • Juniors
      • 3 teams are committed to festival- Gary ready to go with Juniors Division with these 3 teams
      • Ben to update website with Juniors info – under 18 / $300EB/$400/RB- Julie to confirm rates
      • Ash asked if they are willing to race both days or just one day?
        • if 1 day, then they will only have 2 races (1 seeding, then finals)
        • if 2 days, then can have up to 4 races
    • BCS
      • Julie will send Ben updates for the website as to requirements for BCS teams

    Corporate (Michele)

    • Captains and Coaches Meeting (Michele)
      • Michele will be setting this training meeting up in January, most likely at the Baymont
    • Drummers (Julie);
      • highly recommend (STRONGLY SUGGEST) that each company train a drummer for their boat; we can always draft someone if they can’t find someone, but we should get them to at least try to find someone
      • Des likes the idea but would like to make that applicable only to “tenured” crews (crews that have been in at least 4-5 festivals)
      • Michele is trying to get kids to do it;  Ash said she doesn’t want kids to be blamed for situations if things should go wrong
    • Paddles from Kwok (Julie/Des)
      • Kwok changed his mind and will be renting paddles this year after all
      • Will have 100 paddles / Each Corp team allowed to rent up to 6 paddles
      • Additional Rules
        • Teams will have a time period (e.g. Feb 1 – 28) to RSVP their 6 paddles;  After that, any Corp team can claim/rent the extras (gives opportunity for everyone to have equal access to paddles)
        • Des will give Arin/Burnwater same opportunity to do same (rent paddles to Corp), but doesn’t think he will take offer
      • Des wants everyone to have same opportunity, while not forcing them to do so.. but they can rent if they want
      • Michele said she would contact the teams to let them know these paddles are available for rent
      • Des also wants rules on paddles – e.g. what happens if team breaks them?   Kwok says if they break they break… so what?
      • Des said Gary offered to help Kwok with wording together for Paddle Rental rules
      • Des also said Kwok offerred to put together Jersey orders in for Corporate team.

    Steerspersons

    • Julie/Gary discussed and they are in favor of having steers assigned to the boats (not teams)
      • 6 would be in the water/racing at any given time
      • 6 would be marshalling or at docks (preparing to head out) at any given time
      • if a team had their own steer, then we could accomodate that, but in general:  steers assigned to boats
    • Next step: we need to identify who our “pool” of steerspersons will be
    • Rick wanted to send a letter to entire AZDBA community.  The gist of the letter is:
      • We need help – call for steers to step-up for corp practices and races
      • Ask teams to provide their steers more time on water/practice
      • Rick wants to offer another class in Jan’19
      • Concerns:
        • Who is going to certify them for race day?  Just because they are certified doesn’t mean they are ready to steer for festival
        • Don’t want newbie steersperson for Corporate: if they have a bad experience, they won’t ever come back
        • Eric gave some feedback that one corporate boat actually filed a complaint about a steersperson who messed up one of their races (Eric’s response: shit happens)
    • Des suggested putting Ronda in charge of Steers pool so that they can decide who’s ready and who’s not- let her make the call

    On the Water

    • N/A

    On the Land

    • Julie sent out a letter to Jack and Dr. Joel, waiting for a response
    • Eric wanted to know if Puppy is under contract
      • Des confirmed that he is coming
      • Ash said he asked about accomodations in AZ

    Start/Finish Line

    • Timing Tent (Eric)
      • N/A

    Round Table

    Eric

    • Do we want to adopt IDBF rules for crews – e.g. min 8 women / 8 men?  No, would be too much extra bureacracy

    Ash

    • Do we want to put additional restrictions for Youth Crews like we do with Mixed and Collegiate as to min/max males/females?

    Next Meeting

    Thursday, January 17, 2019 from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at TBD location

    Meeting adjourned at 7:39 PM.

    Submitted by: Ben Choi

X